United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across 8-counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies who are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team who is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
Creates, promotes and supports high-quality volunteer experiences for corporate partners and community members. Must be able to accommodate evening and weekend scheduling for volunteer events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Recruits and connects community members to volunteer opportunities, events and projects.
• Collaborates with the Communications & Marketing Department staff to promote volunteer opportunities, events and projects.
• Collaborates with Resource Development staff to identify date-specific, group service projects for campaign company employees. Provides support for agency tours, speakers and campaign presentations for company employees.
• Develops and nurtures relationships with local agencies.
• Posts volunteer opportunities and tracks volunteer hours on Volunteer United.
• Writes project descriptions for volunteer engagement events.
• Coordinates large scale volunteer initiatives such as Day of Caring, Trunk or Treat, Stuff the Bus, etc.
• Plans and leads assigned volunteer and engagement site projects assigned by the Manager. Partners with team members to assist with planning and execution of other volunteer events as needed.
• Cultivates relationships and manages regular communication with local agencies, schools, and nonprofits to maintain project inventory for individual and corporate volunteers.
• Assists in the planning and execution of volunteer appreciation activities.
• Completes engagement and impact reports.
• Recruits volunteers and develops volunteer leaders for Community Impact initiatives, including Driving The Dream, Team Read and Free Tax Prep programs.
• Tracks and reports outcomes for initiatives.
• Supervisory Responsibilities: Community volunteers.
• Education and/or Experience: Minimum of BA or BS degree or comparable work experience. A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of project management, event planning or volunteer management is preferred.
• Knowledge of Customer Relationship Management, Community Relations and/or Sales and Marketing, and Project Management.
• Interpersonal Skills: Excellent active listening, interpersonal, persuasion, and presentation skills required. Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and judgment skills required. Business writing and supervisory skills necessary. Strong administrative and operational skills essential.
• Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret business periodicals, news articles and professional publications. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to present information to and respond to questions from groups of diverse organizational employees, managers, and senior level high profile decision makers. Fluency in Spanish is desired.
• Computer Skills: Requires advanced knowledge of MS office software and data base programs. Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems preferred.
• Presentations Skills: Excellent public speaking and presentation skills needed.
• Licenses: Valid TN Driver’s License
• Other Skills: Problem solving capabilities and cultural diversity skills.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. There may be additional physical requirements associated with volunteer event. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
United Way Core Competencies
• Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
• Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references (with phone numbers) to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your correspondence.
For more information about United Way of the Mid-South, please visit us online at www.uwmidsouth.org.