POSITION TITLE: Bridge Builders® Event Planning Intern
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Engagement
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This is an unpaid internship for the following purpose: BRIDGES will host a large-scale youth and family event for over 1500 middle and high school students and their families from the Greater Memphis area in August of 2018. BRIDGES is seeking three (3) summer interns to work directly with senior leadership at BRIDGES and members of the Bridge Builders Youth Leadership Board to assist in planning and designing an event that embraces youth empowerment and unity in the Greater Memphis area.
• Serve as a project lead for a new, large-scale youth and family event
• Gain experience in event planning and promotion
• Learn from a leading non-profit in the local community
• Meet other professionals in the business and non-profit sector
• Be a part of a fun and dynamic team
INTERNSHIP HOURS AND REQUIREMENTS: The intern will be required to work 30 - 35 hours per week from June 4, 2018, to August 10, 2018. This is an unpaid internship with flexible hours.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for academic credit through their university or college.
TO APPLY: Go to www.bridgesusa.org/internships and complete the online application. Your resume and cover letter must be attached to the application.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with the planning, promotion, logistics and coordination of large-scale youth event.
2. Collaborate with Youth Department staff and Bridge Builders Leadership Board to develop event activities and entertainment focused on youth empowerment and unity.
3. Serve as event promotion team; lead outreach and recruitment efforts targeted to current participants, local non-profits and youth organizations. Create social media campaigns to attract and engage adolescent youth
4. Assist in identifying and securing contracts with community partners and with local vendors for food and entertainment. Vice President of Bridge Builders must approve of and sign all contracts.
5. Identify potential sponsors and under the direction of the Development Team assist in sponsorship solicitation.
6. Collaborate with marketing and communications team to develop promotional materials.
7. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must have completed at least 1 year of college.
2. Experience in event planning and logistics, recruitment and/or marketing and promotions with focus on social media and attracting/engaging adolescent youth strongly preferred. Experience in promotion and coordination of large-scale events (250+ participants) strongly preferred.
3. Familiar with and committed to BRIDGES mission/values, including a passion for youth empowerment and youth-led social change initiatives and community-building in Memphis.
4. Ability to handle multiple tasks in a timely fashion with a high degree of accuracy; be detail oriented and team oriented.
5. Exhibit professionalism at all times.
6. Computer literacy with knowledge and experience using Microsoft products and programs required; strong verbal and written communication skills required.
7. Must pass background check and drug screen after offer and prior to start date.
1. While performing the duties of this position, intern is regularly required to walk, talk, see and hear.
2. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
3. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit departments at BRIDGES Center and to attend any sessions held off campus.
4. The Intern is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
INSTRUCTIONS: Go to www.bridgesusa.org/internships and complete the online application. Your resume and cover letter must be attached to the application.
EOE – M/F – V/H