POSITION TITLE: Bridge Builders® CHANGE Support & Adviser
REPORTS TO: Bridge Builders® CHANGE Coordinator
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Bridge Builders CHANGE Support & Adviser - Intern will assist Bridge Builders program staff in guiding and supporting a group of 12-15 middle and high school student leaders in the design and implementation of a one-year, issue-based youth campaign. Position starts with a five-day Social Change Leadership retreat in followed by twice weekly meetings during the school year.
Position is a paid position and may also be eligible for academic credit.
INTERNSHIP HOURS AND REQUIREMENTS: The intern will be required to attend a five-day team retreat in July 2018 and serve a minimum of 8-10 hours per week from August 2018 – May 2019. This is a paid position and may also be eligible for academic credit. Please contact your faculty advisor or university adviser.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete the online application HERE by June 1st, 2018. Resume and cover letter are required.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Attend a one-week Social Change Leadership retreat in July, provide support to BRIDGES staff, and participate as an active member of the Bridge Builders CHANGE team.
2. Attend a minimum of (2) two out of (3) three Bridge Builders CHANGE meetings each week, working collaboratively with BRIDGES staff to facilitate meetings (meetings held Saturday from 9am-12pm and Tuesday/Thursday from 4pm-7pm).
3. Provide support and guidance to Youth Interns through the design and implementation of an issue-based campaign to include research, youth and community organizing, facilitating and meeting planning.
4. Assist BRIDGES staff in training Youth Interns in community organizing strategies and techniques.
5. Serve as a mentor to Youth Interns to help them meet their individual goals, while maintaining proper boundaries
6. Provide Youth Interns feedback through observation and evaluation.
7. Assist with planning and set-up for Bridge Builders CHANGE meetings and events.
8. Monitor Youth Intern attendance and participation; provide follow-up as necessary.
9. Participate in BRIDGES trainings and events for college students and serve as an ambassador for BRIDGES on campus.
10. Other reasonable duties as assigned by the Bridge Builders® Change Coordinator and/or the Vice President of Bridge Builders®.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must have completed at least one year of college or have the equivalent in experience in the various BRIDGES programs.
2. Familiarity with and commitment to BRIDGES and its mission/values, as well as to the mission/values of Bridge Builders.
3. Possess a genuine interest, knowledge and passion for working with a diverse population of adolescent youth so that their unique assets are recognized and developed.
4. Values diversity and seeks out opportunities to interact and learn in diverse settings; ability to work in a diverse team.
5. Experience in programs with an experiential/adventure education core where participants’ knowledge and experiences are honored and strengthened through shared experiences.
6. Must possess high-energy, enthusiasm and strong initiative.
7. Good communication (verbal and written), exhibits interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to speak effectively in front of large and small groups.
8. Exhibit strong professionalism at all times as well as a strong commitment to lifelong learning.
9. Strength in developing and maintaining positive working relationships where open communication exists with BRIDGES staff, other interns, participants, stakeholders and community partners.
10. Must be computer literate with knowledge and experience using Microsoft products and programs.
11. Must pass background check and drug screen after offer and prior to start date.
1. Intern will regularly participant in high-energy activities that require running, stooping, etc.
2. While performing the duties of this position, intern is regularly required to walk, talk, see and hear.
3. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
4. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit departments at BRIDGES Center and to attend any sessions held off campus.
5. The Intern is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
6. The Intern must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete the online application at HERE by June 1st, 2018. Resume and cover letter are required.
EOE – M/F – V/H