POSITION TITLE: Program Specialist, Bridge Builders CHANGE
REPORTS TO: Bridge Builders CHANGE Coordinator and Director of Bridge Builders
Under supervision of the Bridge Builders CHANGE Coordinator, the Program Specialist for Bridge Builders CHANGE will have the primary responsibility of training, supervising and supporting 20-40 high school CHANGE fellows (approximately 60% of time). Under the supervision of the Director of Bridge Builders, the Program Specialist will support Bridge Builders program implementation (approximately 40% of time). Full time, exempt.
I. ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Supervise 20-40 high school fellows 6 hours per week in the afternoon/evenings and weekends to develop and implement a year-long, youth-led campaign designed to raise youth voice and address injustice in Greater Memphis.
2. Work collaboratively with the Bridge Builders CHANGE Coordinator on planning and implementation of activities and training for CHANGE level of program, including but not limited to the Leadership Institute.
3. Work collaboratively with the Director of Bridge Builders in the planning, coordination and implementation of assigned projects/events.
4. Support Bridge Builders curriculum at any program level, as needed and in accordance with the position and department work plans.
5. Locate and coordinate resources that provide students with subject and issue area specific opportunities, ideas, research and access to leaders at the local and national level to achieve program success.
6. Work collaboratively with the Bridge Builders staff (specifically the CHANGE Coordinator and Evaluation Manager) to develop and implement clear protocols for evaluation of participant outcomes.
7. Communicate regularly with youth participants, including 1-on-1 check-ins with youth each semester, and with parents/guardians (when necessary), to maintain positive group dynamics and high levels of participation.
8. Strive to maintain an atmosphere among staff and youth participants that is consistent with BRIDGES core values, and report any behavior issues of staff or students to a supervisor in a timely manner.
9. Implement best practices for youth development and youth-led social change in a manner consistent with BRIDGES’ organizational culture.
10. Support youth in building connections and networks within BRIDGES and throughout the community in order to support their work.
11. Work collaboratively with the Bridge Builders staff to achieve annual goals and stated outcomes of all levels of the Bridge Builders program.
12. Maintain accurate records of youth’s attendance and complete required tracking of participation on a weekly basis.
13. Participate in BRIDGES and Bridge Builders activities, events and fundraising efforts.
14. Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the Vice President of Bridge Builders or President of BRIDGES.
15. Must be computer literate with knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office.
II. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. At least two years of college level education from an accredited college or university. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. At least two years in a field related to communications, social justice, youth development, youth organizing preferred.
3. At least one year experience in teaching, counseling, and/or mentoring, preferably with adolescents.
4. Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends as required, to provide students out-of-school time programming opportunities.
5. Personal transportation required for meetings held offsite; must have proper insurance with the appropriate limits under Tennessee law and a valid driver’s license.
6. Good communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and leadership skills.
7. Have the demonstrated ability to:
a) Draw logical conclusions and make appropriate recommendations, judgments and decisions;
b) Gather, record and evaluate information; maintain accurate records of participant attendance;
c) Maintain a positive attitude toward participants, staff and interns;
d) Understand program objectives in relation to organizational goals;
e) Evaluate and manage difficult or sensitive situations with youth and adults with appropriate procedures and boundaries as determined through BRIDGES staff handbook;
f) Maintain confidentiality of information.
III. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. While performing the duties of this position, employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see, hear and stoop.
2. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
3. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers and reach with hands and arms.
4. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
5. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit departments at the BRIDGES Center and to attend training sessions held off campus.
6. Requires excellent communication skills both spoken and written.
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
IV. ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND STRENGTHS:
1. Is a life-long learner who is curious and motivated to learn new skills.
2. Possess a genuine interest, knowledge and passion for working with a diverse population of adolescent youth and adults so that their unique assets are recognized and developed; desire, ability and passion for working with adolescent youth to provide an environment and opportunities to realize their unique strengths and actualize their potential.
3. Values diversity and seeks out opportunities for self, staff, volunteers and program participants to interact and learn in diverse settings.
4. Ability to train, supervise and empower a diverse team of youth, interns and volunteers.
5. Strength in developing and maintaining positive working relationships where open communication exists with BRIDGES staff agency wide, community partners and funding agencies; experience working effectively and collaboratively with community organizations and schools.
Instructions: This position is full-time, regular; exempt. To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CHANGE Program Specialist” in the subject line. No calls, please.
EOE – M/F – V/H