POSITION TITLE: BRIDGES AmeriCorps Full-Time Member: Bridge Builders® Specialist
REPORTS TO: CONNECT and AmeriCorps Coordinator and Director of Bridge Builders®
POSITION DESCRIPTION: BRIDGES is seeking five (5) full-time AmeriCorps Members (1720 hours of service required) to serve as Specialists for the Bridge Builders® program from August 7, 2018, to August 6, 2019. Members will serve an average 35-40 hours per week during the academic year and 40+ hours per week during the summer (June –July).
*To serve in AmeriCorps, individuals must be at least 17 years of age; have a high school diploma or GED at the start of service; and be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien. Documentation of government issued photo identification, education and citizenship are required once an offer has been extended. Social security number is required for E-verify.
BENEFITS: AmeriCorps Members will receive a stipend of $17,500, in 27 bi-weekly pay periods, and, upon successful completion of service, an education award*. Other benefits include student loan forbearance, healthcare coverage (optional), professional networking and skill development, research and training in local social justice issues, training as an experiential learning facilitator and the opportunity to serve with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and BRIDGES staff to create positive community change.
*Education Award amounts for the 2018 - 2019 program year have yet to be announced.
ORGANIZATION AND PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: BRIDGES unites and inspires
diverse young people to become confident and courageous leaders committed to community transformation. Our Bridge Builders® program has three levels: CONNECT, COLLABORATE & CHANGE. We use an experiential learning/adventure based education model throughout our programming and to bring together middle and high school youth across the Mid-South region to grow leadership skills, take action within communities and create transformative spaces. The Jim Boyd BRIDGES Center is located in the Uptown neighborhood and is the first green commercial building in Memphis. It features a state of the art indoor/outdoor rock climbing wall, indoor high ropes course and serves as a model for sustainable environmental design.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SPECIALIST:
1. Serve 35-40 hours per week during the academic year and 40+ hours per week during the summer. Program dates and times vary but normally occur during the school day and afterschool (Monday through Friday from 7:00 am – 8:00 pm) and on weekends (Saturdays from 8am - 5pm and Sundays from 12pm - 7pm). Intensive summer programming occurs May-July; hours vary but normally occur Monday through Friday from 7:30 am - 8:00 pm.
2. Work collaboratively to facilitate/co-facilitate Bridge Builders® meetings, workshops and full day events at the Jim Boyd BRIDGES Center, schools and outside organizations (members will receive training on Bridge Builders® curricula).
3. Lead groups of 15 - 25 adolescent youth through experiential learning activities and discussions focused on social and emotional learning skills, leadership, community and justice.
4. Assist with the recruitment and retention of Bridge Builders® participants including:
a. distributing materials;
b. building relationships with youth organizations and colleges;
c. attracting new partners and program participants.
5. Assist the CONNECT Coordinator with recruiting and scheduling CONNECT workshop events and Retreat Days (members will receive training in CONNECT recruitment and scheduling).
6. Prepare and maintain program materials and curriculum.
a. Assist with set-up and logistics;
b. Perform Site Coordination at Bridge Builders® meetings and workshops;
c. Clean-up for Bridge Builders® meetings, workshops, events and trainings.
7. Facilitate pre- and post-program evaluations and assist with entering in evaluation data.
8. Attend and provide support at BRIDGES meetings and events, including volunteer trainings, parent orientations and community events.
9. Represent BRIDGES and the AmeriCorps program through social media, national service days and events. This may involve presenting at in town and/or out of town meetings and/or conferences.
10. Ensure, with the guidance of the Director of Bridge Builders® and the AmeriCorps Coordinator, that risk management procedures are implemented and followed during Bridge Builders® programming.
11. Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the Director of Bridge Builders®, AmeriCorps Coordinator or other senior managers.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS/STRENGTHS FOR FACILITATION SPECIALIST:
1. Participate in a criminal history check including but not limited to a state and federal fingerprint check and National Sex Offender Public Registry check.
2. Preference will be given to candidates with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university; equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
3. Embraces the AmeriCorps Spirit of Service; seeks to serve wherever needed in order to support the Bridge Builders® program and youth participants.
4. Experience working with adolescent youth; experience in the field of experiential/ adventure based education is a plus.
5. Possess a genuine interest, knowledge and passion for the BRIDGES mission and Bridge Builders® program components, including community building, leadership development and youth-led movements for social justice.
6. Desire to serve a diverse population of adolescent youth and to assist in coaching and developing the strengths and skills of youth participants so that their unique assets are recognized and developed.
7. Is a lifelong learner.
8. Effective communication skills such as active listening, body language, clear and concise expectations, etc.; effective interpersonal, intercultural, and leadership abilities.
9. Detail oriented with the ability to multi-task.
10. Must be computer literate with knowledge of and experience using Microsoft products.
11. Reliable transportation (public or private) required to the Jim Boyd BRIDGES Center and to multiple program venues throughout the city.
12. Must be able to serve evenings and weekends on a regular basis.
1. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit departments at the Jim Boyd BRIDGES Center, schools, off campus training sessions, summer camps, conferences, etc.
2. Member will participate in high-energy activities of the Experiential Learning Center; participation requires ability to climb, run, stoop, elevate to high ropes course, etc.
3. Able to lift, carry and/or move 25 pounds unassisted and up to 75 pounds with assistance.
4. Member is regularly required to walk, talk, see and hear.
5. While performing the duties of this position, the member is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk, hear and see.
6. The member is required to use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
7. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, disability age, sex, political affiliation or religion.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at www.bridgesusa.org. Cover letter and resume are required as part of the application process. Application deadline is July 13, 2017. Applicants selected for AmeriCorps service will be required to create an account and submit an application through the My AmeriCorps portal. For additional information about AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov. For additional information about BRIDGES and the Bridge Builders® program, please visit www.bridgesusa.org.
EOE – M/F – V/H