Memphis Area Legal Services, Inc. is seeking four (4) contract attorneys for its Memphis Fair Housing Center (MFHC). MFHC is a HUD-approved housing counseling agency offering services including Mortgage Delinquency and Default/Loss Mitigation; Fair Lending; Keep My Tennessee Home—Principal Reduction with Recast Program or Lien Extinguishment; and Post-Purchase/Non-Delinquent Counseling. Contract attorneys will be responsible for providing foreclosure prevention counseling and legal services to owner-occupants of single family units with mortgage loans in default or in danger of default.
Other duties include:
• Interviewing clients, including home visits when appropriate and giving legal advice
• Conducting legal research and preparing and drafting legal documents, pleadings,
motions, briefs, appeals, case memos and referral memoranda
• Representing clients in state and federal court, before administrative agencies, and
other appropriate forums on legal matters related to foreclosure prevention, the
rescission of a foreclosure sale, the reinstatement of mortgage loans, and disputes
due to predatory lending practices
• Identifying systemic issues in areas that impact clients’ housing rights and strategies
to address them
• Acting in accordance with the Code of Professional Responsibility
• Staying up-to-date on the state of the law and procedures within area(s) of practice
Candidates must be experienced litigators with demonstrated commitment and passion for equal justice and legal assistance to low-income populations. Must have a license to practice law in Tennessee, admitted to federal practice, and a member of the Tennessee bar. Two to five years litigation experience in housing preferred.
Instructions: Send a letter of interest, with resume, writing sample, and listing three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. MALS is an E.O.E.