DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Impact
REPORTS TO: Community Impact Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar nonprofit public foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across 8-counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thoughts of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies who are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success - education, financial stability, and health - while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, yu are uniting with a team who is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Community Impact Associate position is a proactive office leader who will work with our Community Impact team to fulfill UWMS’ overarching initiative to address poverty. Using our Driving the Dream (DTD) initiative to model our investments, this position will be critical in bridging tasks and functions to ensure that resources are strategically employed to meet community needs, and to have the greatest impact on the reduction of poverty.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Information Analysis – Working with Directors of Community Impact, conducts independent research in assigned content areas to provide staff and/or volunteers guidance, based upon analysis results.
● Planning - Possess good planning and decision-making skills regarding United Way investments, programs and initiatives.
● Community Impact Volunteer Management – Organizes volunteers, in assigned areas to meet established timetables. Supports planning and execution of volunteer-led committees, events and meetings. Works with internal Engagement team to ensure volunteer recruitment, registration and retention are implemented as needed. Represents the organization at events sponsored by United Way of the Mid-South, member agencies, and community organizations.
● Reporting – Periodically provides written reports, for an internal and external audience, documenting activities and results of impact area work. Assists in the collection and presentation of data and analytical reports on Community Impact activities.
● Communications - Communicates effectively with others within the organization to achieve the expected organization results. Communications, verbal and written, are correct and clearly convey information. Works with internal Communications & Marketing team to initiate and complete marketing and advertising materials as needed.
● Continuous Improvement/Results Orientation - Seeks and capitalizes on opportunities to improve work systems, processes, and priorities to enhance organizational results. Responds quickly to changing tasks, deadlines, workflow, and responsibilities.
● Finance & Budgeting - Work with Directors and Grants Manager to support financial management of grants. Along with leadership, support compliance, reporting and critical timelines of assigned grants.
● Technology - Possess or attain proficiencies in internet-related programs and Google Suite - Mail, Docs, Sheets, Smartsheets, etc. to create and to organize shared documents in a central location. Experience with Microsoft tool is a plus.
● Specific Program Support - Work with staff to ensure that logistics, timelines, and implementation are achieved in areas of direct services that meet and support DTD domain goals.
● Perform other work as assigned.
● Work appropriately and enthusiastically with others and respond appropriately in interpersonal situations.
● Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communication, Education, Social Work, Public Administration or other related fields.
● Three years of experience working in the human services or related field.
● Flexibility to work in a “startup” like environment, where change is imminent.
● Demonstrated commitment to the field and a passion for serving under-served and under-resourced individuals, families and/or communities; particularly people living in poverty.
● Not just tolerance for, but the enjoyment of, working with a degree of ambiguity and ability to help others successfully move through change.
● Quick learner, possessing superior judgment with minimal supervision.
● Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments; and work well under pressure.
● This is not a supervisory position. It is expected to work across departments to provide information as well and request information to fulfill tasks and job functions.
This position does not require any heavy lifting, but occasionally might require moving up to 25 pounds of supplies and equipment using a mobile cart.
Must have reliable transportation.
This position might require occasional evenings and weekend work. The position also requires some local travel to meet with partners.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references (with phone numbers to the attention firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your correspondence. For more information about United Way of the Mid-South, please visit us online at www.uwmidsouth.org.