POSITION TITLE: Community Organizer, West TN & North MS
DEPARTMENT: External Affairs
REPORTS TO: Community Engagement Manager
The Community Organizer will carry out grassroots advocacy work and implement strategic plans to build and engage Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi’s base of supporters.
• Work with PPTNM staff to implement strategic organizing plan to build support for Planned Parenthood.
• Mobilize volunteers to carry out PPTNM’s grassroots organizing plan via one- on-ones, phone/text, and email.
• Recruit and train volunteers and interns, and develops the skills of volunteer leaders through ongoing training opportunities.
• Develop volunteer trainings, lead phone banks, organize canvasses, and other volunteer activities.
• Inform PPTNM staff, via written and verbal reports, of activities, developments, and progress of strategic plan.
• Manage the outreach and organizing plans of organizing interns and volunteers, including Community Action Teams and Generation Action chapters. Set measurable goals and hold them accountable to the goals.
• Maintain, update, track, and communicate with volunteers through EveryAction/VAN database; generate regular reports.
• Represent PPTNM when needed at coalition meetings and work with partner organizations to implement our field plan.
• Ensure compliance with 501 (c)(3) guidelines for approved activities
• Travel is required, access to personal vehicle is strongly recommended.
• Protect the confidentially of PPTNM clients, donors, board, and all areas of operation
• Performs other duties as needed or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION:
• Alignment with the mission and values of Planned Parenthood.
• Able to demonstrate behaviors that represent the Affiliate’s Workplace Values.
• A passion for social justice, women’s rights and reproductive justice.
• Excellent communication and team-building skills; ability to initiate, foster, and leverage contacts and networks to achieve strong, positive outcomes;
• Proven ability to achieve measurable, meaningful results;
• Self-driven and proactive with the capacity to work both independently and in groups;
• Ability to adapt in a fast-paced work environment;
• Strong problem-solver and critical thinker;
• A learning orientation and an ability to embrace and incorporate direct feedback crucial;
• Experience with diverse populations a plus;
• Bilingual abilities are a plus;
EXPERIENCE: At least 3 years of professional experience preferred; political, campaign and/or community organizing experience a plus, experience (volunteer or paid) recruiting, training, and mobilizing a team of 10 or more volunteers/members preferred
Other: Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends; full-time access to a car and a valid driver’s license is required; some travel required.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with this position. While intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to review and change this description as needed to maintain business goals and accomplishments. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically. This job description is not a contract.
Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, citizenship, disability, atypical hereditary cellular blood trait, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. PPTNM will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; and any subsequent revisions or additions to related law/regulations.
Employees are expected to perform duties as assigned and directed by management.
Qualified applicants please click HERE to apply.