About the Organization
ArtsMemphis sustains Memphis’ world-renowned cultural vitality and strengthens local communities through the arts. We pursue this mission by: amplifying awareness and driving arts support; investing in, and forging connections for, artists and organizations; and modeling organizational effectiveness. We envision a Memphis in which every individual feels pride in our city’s authentic cultural assets and experiences the impact of the arts in their lives. In pursuit of that vision, we're guided by a commitment to access, equity and inclusion, creativity and innovation, and transparency. Founded in 1963, ArtsMemphis has invested $80+ million in Shelby County arts organizations. Over the last decade, we have invested $40 million and created opportunities to support individual artists. We awarded 160+ grants to 75 organizations and artists totaling nearly $2.5 million this year.
About the Position
Reporting to and in partnership with the President & CEO, the Director of Marketing & Donor Engagement will spearhead the organization’s marketing, communication and development efforts to achieve annual and long-range goals.
The Director of Marketing & Donor Engagement will manage a staff of one or more; serve on the Leadership Team with the President & CEO, Chief Financial Officer and Director of Grants & Initiatives; work closely with the Board of Directors; and provide staff leadership to the Development Committee and Marketing Council.
- Develop team member skills by providing coaching, feedback and reviews to optimize performance and provide opportunities for growth
- Be a visible presence in the Memphis community, representing ArtsMemphis in community activities
- Develop brand strategies and lead tactics that drive energy for and awareness of ArtsMemphis among current and potential stakeholders
- Develop and drive digital strategy
- Leverage grantee impact stories and data to communicate and connect more deeply and broadly with our community and capitalize on opportunities for organic growth
- Set and guide a consistent brand strategy for all communications and oversee implementation and evaluation
- Manage relationships with web developers, graphic designers, printers and other related vendors
Working with the President & CEO who in effect serves as Chief Development Officer and spearheads development efforts, oversee the development process including planning, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Motivate and nurture a high performing, diverse development team made up of staff and Board
- Provide coordination, direction and leadership to meet annual campaign revenue goals of $3M + annually
- Oversee solicitation, gift processing and reporting functions; oversee management of donor data within Raisers Edge database
- Using data and experiential engagement, draw current donors closer to what makes them associate with ArtsMemphis and understand what’s important to new and potential donors
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing/Communications or related field
- 7+ years of directly related work experience
- Direct experience in a fundraising organization as an employee or volunteer
- Experience in leading and mentoring a team
- Strong communications skills; both written and verbal
- Demonstrated experience in digital media, including social
- Familiarity with media relations
- Knowledge of the Memphis community preferred
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; proficiency with databases, research tools and data intelligence tools; experience with donor databases (specially Raiser’s Edge) a plus
The ideal candidate will be:
- a strategic leader who is highly motivated, positive and entrepreneurial minded.
- one who has a desire to be a key player in the future of ArtsMemphis.
- willing to work with a small team in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative environment.
- a proven manager who promotes teamwork, creativity and open communication.
- able to create and deliver effective presentations to individuals and large groups; able to communicate data and technical issues to people with a wide range of data expertise.
- able to manage budgeting and forecasting procedures.
- able to take a job from conception to completion and open to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
Candidate must be willing to handle flexible hours including occasional work on nights and weekends.
This position is full-time. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience. A competitive package including insurance, 401(k) and vacation/holiday schedule will be offered.
Note that this position description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended, however, to be an accurate summary of those principal job elements. This position may be required to perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter outlining interest, experience, and potential fit for the position along with a resume to Elizabeth Rouse at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.