Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board of Directors
SUMMARY: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for OUTMEMPHIS’ staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director will be a strong and collaborative leader with a proven track record in fundraising, financial management, programming and operational supervision. The Executive Director will be the face of the organization, responsible for executing the strategic direction, goals, and direction set by the Board of Directors, and for implementing a high- quality vision and ensuring the long-term sustainability of OUTMEMPHIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Responsible for overall leadership of both paid and volunteer staff
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the strategic action plan in cooperation with the Board
- Responsible for the financial management of the corporation, including all accounting functions including those necessary for auditing, budgeting, capital asset and property management, financial analysis and payroll in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Responsible for overseeing completion and tracking of all grant applications
- Responsible for management of liaisons with other organizations
- Responsible for providing information, advice and counsel to the Board Chair and Board of Directors regarding the policies, programs, strategic direction and welfare of the corporation
- Responsible for assisting Board members and committee chairs with support and providing information necessary to complete work
- Responsible for administration of overall operation of OUTMEMPHIS’s activities, including: reviewing and evaluating the results of program activities; ensuring that continuing contractual obligations are being fulfilled; allocating resources for greater program effectiveness and efficiency; developing organizational, administrative and program objectives and procedures
- Responsible for analyzing and evaluating vendor services, particularly for insurance, employee benefits and management of OUTMEMPHIS funds, to determine programs and providers that best meet the needs of OUTMEMPHIS and makes recommendations to the Board, as appropriate; negotiates services, terms and premiums and executes contracts with benefit plan providers, supply and service vendors, auditors and consultants; manages payroll and benefits programs
- Other duties as assigned by the Board
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The core competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform effectively in this position, the individual should demonstrate the following competencies. These core competencies are required for effective administration of OUTMEMPHIS and to ensure that its programs are fulfilling OUTMEMPHIS’s mission.
Leadership & Management:
• Leads, coaches, develops, and retains OUTMEMPHIS’ staff and management team
• Builds an effective and collaborative team of leaders by providing guidance and coaching to subordinate managers
• Ensures ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommends timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals; able to manage complex projects including concurrent projects
• Actively engages and energizes OUTMEMPHIS’ staff, volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
• Ensures effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluates program components and measures successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
• Maintains effective systems of internal controls to account for all receipts and expenditures of funds. Manages corporate funds to maximize the earnings under federal regulations
• Fully understands the complex funding streams (e.g., foundations, corporate, individual, government, etc.) and rapidly changing trends in the not-for-profit, health and human service, and LGBT sectors
• Works in partnership with the Board of Directors and development staff to identify, solicit and acquire new sources of funding
• Possesses the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
• Exhibits independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies
• Can define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; exhibits independent judgment in the development, implementation, and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies
• Understands the technical aspects of managing a nonprofit organization; provides advice to its Directors and staff and/or solicits guidance from experts
• Understands the duties and responsibilities of the position and keeps job knowledge up-to-date
• Clearly understands the mission and long term strategic plans of the organization and continuously works to assure that OUTMEMPHIS achieves its goals
Strategy & Vision:
• Engages the Board, staff, and community stakeholders in a process to help define strategic goals for the organization’s short and longer-term strategic plans
• Oversees the plan’s implementation, ensuring necessary funds, staff, and infrastructure are available to realize the plan’s goals
• Communicates the strategy, goals, ongoing progress, and outcomes to the organization’s Board, staff, funders, partners and community stakeholders
• Implements plans to reach organizational goals as determined by the Board of Directors
• Displays initiative in developing action plans and resolving problems as they occur, in consultation with the Board Chair and other Directors
• Recognizes and brings to the attention of the Board Chair issues that impact the organization
• Communicates effectively with multiple audiences using a variety of formats (i.e. written communications, verbal presentations and briefings
• Efficiently responds to questions from membership, staff, and members of the community
• Acts as the organization’s primary spokesperson with elected officials, government agency leaders, and with non-governmental funding communities
• Instills trust and credibility internally and externally, gaining the confidence and faith of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
• Deepens and refines all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
• Uses external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Diversity and Inclusion:
• Serves as the Center spokesperson for an intersectional LGBT community and the necessity of an aggressive diversity and inclusion strategy
• Brings a robust understanding of diversity including minimally: race, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, disability status, medical status; but also considering factors that include: marital status, parental status, veteran status, etc.
• Ensures Center collaborations and partnerships reflect the above
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred, equivalent work experience will be considered
• Attainment of an MBA, MPA or other equivalent advanced degree is a plus
• Work in a related field and seven years of increasingly responsible administrative experience, at least five of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity, is required
OUTMEMPHIS empowers, connects, educates and advocates for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community of the Mid-South. Regardless of how we identify as individuals, we all seek a world where we can live openly, honestly and authentically. We desire a community that celebrates and respects us fully as a part of the whole. We expect and deserve to be as open about who we are and whom we love as we choose to be. Working to make that world a reality is what we do every day at OUTMemphis…in dozens of ways, in a hundred settings, and for thousands of clients and allies.
OUTMEMPHIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from all persons, including those with diverse backgrounds in regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, marital status, religious creed, medical/physical/mental condition, sexual orientation, Veteran Status, or age.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with “OUTMemphis Executive Director Search” in the subject line.