Director (Part-Time Contract Position)
The Midtown Memphis Development Corporation (MMDC) is currently seeking to contract a part-time Director to support the work of the organization. MMDC is a 501 (C)3 non-profit community development corporation that promotes Midtown neighborhoods and fosters public awareness of area assets and amenities. MMDC partners with public, nonprofit, and private stakeholders that are committed to the vibrancy and sustainability of Midtown.
Under the direction of the MMDC Board of Directors, the Director runs the day-to-day operations of the organization; assists in the implementation of initiatives; acts as first line introduction to the MMDC for partners and community. This is a contracted position of approximately 20 hours/week with an annual budget of $22,000. Hours each week will likely fluctuate, with much of the work being done independently. However, the Director is expected to be available for monthly board meetings and special events. There is a possibility of additional hours based on project opportunities, with negotiable compensation. The position reports to the Executive Committee with oversight by the President.
• Supports operations and administration of the organization and the volunteer Board of Directors by advising and informing Board members of community and staff needs.
• Uses strong administrative skills, along with the ability to manage the Director’s work plan and the work of others, as necessary.
• Works closely with all committees and task forces of the organization.
• Shows an ability to manage details of multiple initiatives independently and work accurately under deadline and within budget.
• Serves as administrative coordinator of annual budget process, and works closely with the Treasurer to coordinate collection of funds, pay expenses, collect mail, etc.
• Puts in place systems of operation to facilitate management of the organization.
• Seeks out grants and assists the Board in applying for funding opportunities.
• Attends and participates in events and planning meetings
• Recruits, trains and manages volunteers as well as corporate participation for related events.
Communications & Marketing:
• Acts as central clearinghouse for information and communications regarding the organization.
• Ensures that the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders using a civil tone while setting realistic expectations of the role and capabilities of the Board.
• Uses excellent written and oral communication skills in all communications and public speaking.
• Works with Communication Committee to deliver on strategic content.
• Ensures copy and graphics meet established branding standards.
• Identifies, establishes, and maintains relationships with community partner organizations.
• Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage diverse stakeholder groups.
MMDC Director Position
Communications & Marketing: (Cont.)
• Publishes regular public communication through regular updates of the MMDC website.
• Maintains a dynamic social media presence with Facebook, as well as other social media channels.
• Monitors activity on organization emails and responds as necessary.
• Acts as a liaison to local media including writing press releases and participates in press interviews.
• Light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
• Work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, and manual dexterity.
• Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas.
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
• Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
• The role is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
• Other duties as assigned by the Board.
• Is passionate about promoting the revitalization of historic urban neighborhoods.
• Has an undergraduate degree in a related field. (Has or is currently pursuing an advanced degree: Preferred)
• Experience in Community Organizing or Community Development: Preferred
• Demonstrates a strong, pro-active approach to time and workflow project management.
• Demonstrates skills in organizing and maintaining detailed records for reporting purposes.
• Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively in a non-profit, consensus-based environment.
• Demonstrates the ability to accommodate a demanding, yet flexible, schedule that requires some evenings and weekends.
• Have excellent computer skills and strong ability to manage and interpret data; must be proficient in Microsoft Suite and other key applications including but not limited to graphic design software.
• Basic knowledge of design and an eye for graphic arts.
• Candidates should have a working laptop with access to Microsoft Office applications.
Interested qualified candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest by July 23, 2018 to: email@example.com
At Midtown Memphis Development Corporation (MMDC), we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Our goal is for the organization to be as diverse as the population that we serve. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. We base all decisions on qualifications, merit, and business need.