Crosstown Arts is the only contemporary arts center in the country that provides in one location state-of-the-art performance and exhibition spaces, professional art-making facilities, a multidisciplinary artist residency program, diverse education opportunities, and immediate access to healthcare, wellness and childcare resources.
Crosstown Arts is the creative anchor within Crosstown Concourse, a one million square foot adaptive reuse of the historic Sears building, constructed in 1927 and once a major distribution center and retail store for Sears, Roebuck & Co in Memphis, Tennessee. The Crosstown Concourse complex is a one-of-a-kind vertical urban village anchored in arts, education and healthcare, including a charter high school for arts and sciences, a graduate program in education, health and wellness institutions, grocery and marketplace, commercial and office space, and a diverse range of residential living options. Concourse was recently named the Memphis Business Journal’s 2017 Project of the Year and proudly holds the designation as the largest LEED Platinum Certified historic adaptive reuse building in the world.
The mission of Crosstown Arts is to further cultivate the creative community in Memphis by providing resources and opportunities to inspire and support diverse and far-reaching audiences. Crosstown Arts manages a variety of spaces and programs within Crosstown Concourse that integrate exhibition, performance, production, retail and education. This commitment to collective vision, collaboration and sharing of resources unites the programming, spaces, tenants and services of Crosstown Arts and Crosstown Concourse and ultimately benefits the neighboring community and the city at large.
The Marketing Manager is responsible for the marketing and advertising efforts for both Crosstown Concourse and all aspects of Crosstown Arts, including exhibitions, performances, shared labs, artist residency program, theater and café/bar. The position offers hands-on involvement in a variety of unique marketing projects and events from concept to execution to reporting.
The position reports directly to the Crosstown Arts Co-Director, who is responsible for administrative operations. The Marketing Manager will work with the Co-Director, Communications Coordinator, Director of Events and external partners to develop and execute communications and marketing strategies, including a diverse array of events throughout the year, and manage related budgets for Crosstown Arts and Crosstown Concourse.
High energy, excellent multi-tasking, great organizational skills, self-motivation and the ability to facilitate projects are a must. The position requires experience in marketing project management, website/content management, and digital media. Preference may be given to candidates with previous experience in and a passion for the arts.
Responsibilities • Work closely with an external branding and communications agency to develop and implement an advertising strategy and marketing materials (digital, print, broadcast, email, etc.) that creatively represent the uniqueness, quality, and variety of experiences at Crosstown Arts and Concourse
• Work closely with Program Directors, Director of Events, and Concourse tenants to create a robust schedule of high quality events that both integrates with the overall marketing plan and highlights the uniqueness of the arts, culinary and cultural character of Concourse and the surrounding Crosstown neighborhood. Coordinate with internal and external event staff to ensure events achieve the goals of enriching community experiences and expanding Concourse’s audience to support retail tenants.
• Manage associated budget for advertising and marketing
• Work with Crosstown Arts’ video production department and staff photographer to produce content from events and programming for websites and marketing materials.
• Think strategically and intentionally about ways to communicate with, and grow, audiences for Crosstown Arts and Concourse events, programming and retail.
• Assist in maintaining and improving the Crosstown Arts and Concourse website, which includes, but is not limited to, content updates, monitoring and tracking.
• In collaboration with Communications Coordinator, assist in content development and syndication across all other digital platforms: social, external email, mobile and other new media solutions.
• In collaboration with Communications Coordinator, help to grow, maintain and activate audiences via email marketing and social media outlets including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram and others.
• Schedule targeted public tours of Concourse in coordination with businesses, local civic and tourism organizations, travel writers, etc. to grow awareness and audience
• Basic graphic design including occasional posters, invitations, ads, promotional collateral, etc.
Qualifications • Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in marketing, communications, journalism, business, liberal arts or related field• 7+ years of successful track record and experience managing marketing projects, budgets and teams (internal and external), and communicating with press
• Must be familiar with online communities and social media including Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, and others
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
• Experience with website content management tools and systems helpful
• Experience with email systems like Patron Mail, Constant Contact or Mail Chimp helpful
This position requires an ongoing commitment to the following:
• Even-tempered disposition. Ability to work under pressure in a composed, focused, affable and courteous manner. Ability to work well with the public - often idiosyncratic and distinctive personalities and sensitive situations - with a composed and supportive attitude, and to exhibit a positive and gracious demeanor.
• Enthusiastic, energetic and positive. Ability to sustain an ongoing spirit of positivity in high-pressure and demanding situations. Great level of passion, innovation and enthusiasm for engaging others and creating new vehicles and methods to communicate ideas to the world about Concourse and Crosstown Arts’ projects, programs and promotional campaigns
• Adaptable and flexible. Ability and willingness to accommodate ongoing modifications to all tasks and projects, including regular interruptions to workflow and changing of plans.
• Prompt and timely communicator. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Collaborative. Ability to collaborate, give feedback and manage a high volume of correspondence in all forms of communication with Crosstown Arts’ staff, partners and audiences.
• Strategic and Organized. Ability to prioritize, manage a high volume of information and tasks and keep multiple projects on track simultaneously, at varying levels of completion.
• Accommodating. Ability to seek out supportive solutions to accommodate guests in all Crosstown Arts’ spaces, including artists, musicians, event organizers and general public to realize the full potential of their creative vision, whenever possible
• Receptive. Ability to accept and execute a wide range of tasks necessary to complete projects, including simple/basic tasks as well as highly detailed directives, regardless of scale
• Detail oriented. Ability to sustain close attention to an ongoing set of constantly emerging details unique to each situation, ranging from visual/space needs to interpersonal requests from other staff and event participants
• Assertive, determined and focused. Ability to stay on task, working under pressure within given deadlines to problem-solve and proactively find solutions to obstacles in resourceful ways, seeing all projects through to completion
• Care for user experience. Ability to find incentive and motivation in a satisfactory end-user experience for all partners, guests and event participants.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
This is a salaried, full-time position eligible for all Crosstown Arts’ benefits (including health insurance, PTO, Church Health YMCA membership, etc.). Salary will be competitive and commensurate with level of experience and skill.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three (3) references to: email@example.com