POSITION TITLE: Major Gifts Officer, Middle and East TN
DEPARTMENT: External Affairs
REPORTS TO: Director of Philanthropy
STATUS: Full Time / Exempt
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of individual mid- and major-level donor prospects in west Tennessee and north Mississippi. This position will also support fundraising for Tennessee Advocates for Planned Parenthood.
• Maintain and develop strong and engaged relationships with current mid- and major-level donors and develop new relationships through cultivation and prospecting opportunities via one-on-one visits, small groups and other meaningful contacts.
• Work closely and strategically with the Director of Philanthropy, the VP of External Affairs, CEO, other senior staff, board members, and volunteers to engage them in key processes: major donor identification, research, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation, as appropriate. Manage all of these processes.
• Sustain and expand financial contributions from mid- and major-level donors and prospects.
• Develop and implement a strategy for cultivation of both major donors and prospects.
• Represent PPTNM at key community events, using these opportunities as public relations, cultivation, and/or prospecting opportunities.
• Work closely with other development staff to coordinate and integrate major gifts work with the Annual Campaign, planned giving, other special campaigns, and grant-seeking efforts.
• Record donor interactions, relationships, and other relevant information in the donor database in accordance with policies and procedures.
• Be a full participant on the Development team in analyzing metrics and crafting strategies to secure philanthropic gifts to the affiliate.
• Approach donor strategy with the longevity of the affiliate, as well as the donor’s in tent, in mind. Integrate planned and long-term stewardship plans as part of the solicitation process.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION:
• Requires an understanding of and commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service.
• Work Management: Ability to think strategically and achieve organization’s goals relating to position. Effectively manages time as a resource and meets deadlines; establishes realistic priorities; schedules own time and activities effectively; gives balanced focus and attention to appropriate long- and short-term priorities. Develops action plans; leverages technology; anticipates obstacles; establishes check points and monitors progress. Ability to take decisive action.
• Building Relationships: Effective leadership capabilities; shows genuine interest in others’ needs and opinions; establishes rapport; earns the confidence and trust of others; demonstrates consistency between words and actions; delivers on commitments.
• Communication: Speaks and presents effectively in individual or group situations, including appropriate nonverbal communication. Expresses ideas in a clear, thorough and concise manner. Actively listens to what others say. Writes using good grammatical form and appropriate style. Expresses ideas in a clear, thorough and concise manner. Ability to write clear, structured, articulate written donor materials, proposals, and reports. Comfortable and knowledgeable with discussing topics relating to sexual and reproductive health.
• Integrity: Must be discreet and safeguard confidential information; can be relied on to act ethically.
• Creativity or Innovation: Demonstrates the ability to generate novel and valuable ideas and to use the ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods or systems.
• Adaptability or Flexibility: Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends and travel within and outside organization region as job dictates. Responds with flexibility to shifting priorities and changing work situations; recovers quickly from problems and setbacks; develops new skills to remain competitive. Adapts easily to change, sees the merits of differing positions, and adapts own positions and strategies in response to new information or changes to a situation.
• Coping with Demands of the Position: Uses effective problem solving while working under pressure, high volume of work demands and/or time demands; meets deadlines.
• Celebrates and exemplifies the core values of our organization: We tend to the team; we respect and honor all people; we jump in; we try and we learn; we care for our business; we return to our mission.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or higher preferred.
EXPERIENCE: At least five years of successful major gift fundraising experience, preferably in a team environment.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with this position. While intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to review and change this description as needed to maintain business goals and accomplishments. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically. This job description is not a contract.
Planned Parenthood of Tennessee and North Mississippi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, citizenship, disability, atypical hereditary cellular blood trait, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. PPTNM will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; and any subsequent revisions or additions to related law/regulations.
Employees are expected to perform duties as assigned and directed by management.
Qualified applicants please click HERE to apply.